Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Review: Rough

This is the very first book of Skye Warren that I've read. Shall we talk about how it made me feel? Hint: OMG.

Title: Rough
Series: Chicago Underground, #1
Author: Skye Warren
Self-Published
Release Date: May 24, 2015
Pages: 164
Buy Links: Amazon | iBooks | BN | Google Play | Kobo

Blurb:

Survival doesn't come easy...

I'm a cautionary tale. A single teenage mother from the poor part of town. A victim. Most of the time I'm too busy working and struggling to care what people think. 

And men? They aren't afraid to take what they want.

Then I meet Colin. He takes more than a few stolen hours. He demands more than my body. He wants my heart and soul--my happily ever after. I never thought I'd be Cinderella. I never thought a man that rough could be my prince.



I've never felt like this before. The desperation to get the rest of the series is so strong. Or at least get the next two books to learn what happened to Colin and Allie. Wait... am I getting ahead of myself? Let's back track and talk about these two amazing people.

Allie was "damaged goods". Somehow, she lived her life thinking that she deserved pain and being taken roughly...until she met Colin.

I swear, I said it out loud that men like Colin surely don't exist. I mean, he was just too good to be true! He was absolutely perfect, even though he had secrets of his own.

Colin gave Allie what he knew she needed as opposed to what she thought she needed. Colin touched Allie's soul, and in return, Skye Warren touched a place of my heart that no. other. author has ever done before. BOLD CLAIM.  I know. 

Now, I don't know what to do with myself. I need to get the rest of the books or I might lose part of my sanity. I mean, just read the excerpt below and you'll know what I mean.

***

The tears fell in streams then, making my voice all high and wavery as I tried to explain. "I'm sorry. I know you said dinner, and I tried to make it, but I just didn't...I didn't have time, you know? Or the ability to cook, either. I'm so sorry."
"Stop apologizing," he cut in.
"But--"
"No, listen. I didn't mean you'd have to cook. I can cook, or we can go out. Don't stress out."
"I am so beyond stressed," I said, watery.
"Let's order pizza."
The consideration and utter simplicity of the gesture touched me. "Really?"
He handed the ice pack off to me and pulled out his cell phone. "Ordering now. What do you want?"
"But the organic," I said. "And the grass feeding. I know you don't just order pizza."
"Pepperoni with extra chemicals? Got it," he said to me before he turned to the phone to place a real order.
I swiped at the tears, but they didn't want to stop. While relief flooded me, I toyed with the empty box of lasagna noodles on the kitchen table. Idly I read the fine print.
"Hell," I said. "You're supposed to boil these first?"
"Silly mommy," Bailey said.

***

You see? Please get this book. It's free so you all can meet Colin and Allie, too. Oh wait, did I mention I started reading this book and I never put it down until I finished it? Okay, go get the book :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment