Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Review: Blank Canvas

Finally, after years of procrastinating, I'd finally read my first ever Mari Carr book! Check out my thoughts below :)

Title: Blank Canvas
Series: Big Easy, #1
Author: Mari Carr
Publisher: Carried Away Publishing
Release Date: February 16, 2014
Pages: 106
Buy Links: Amazon | Amazon UK | ARe | Google Play | iBooks | Kobo | Nook | Smashwords

Blurb:

Disillusioned by divorce, Jennifer's about to discover her wild side, starting with a tattoo from Caliph. And continuing with submission, spankings, wax play...all under the skilled hands of her wickedly sexy tattoo master.
What a great intro to the world of Mari Carr! This book was sexy and hot, but it also had heart. I loved it!

When I was reading this book, I had a man's face in my head, except that he wasn't a tattoo artist, but a barber. Anyway, this had never happened so I thought I'd mention it. On to the actual review ;)

I love the inquisitiveness of Caliph. Somehow, he was able to read Jennifer's face as if they'd known each other for years. I think that was amazing, and I would have been mad if Jennifer let a gem like him go. 

I loved Jennifer's innocence. It was a great contrast to Caliph's wild side. The little bits of BDSM in this story was so refreshing as well. Because Jennifer was new to everything, there was considerable communication and education, but at the same time, Caliph pushed her and she didn't disappoint.

I also appreciated that they were both very direct and didn't beat around a bush. They liked each other? They went on a date ASAP. They were hot for each other? They scheduled a little date for that, too. There was no playing hard to get and I liked that. 

"Bondage. Domination. Spanking. Wax play. Anal." He rattled off his grocery list of sex acts with such ease Jennifer struggled to catch her breath. "Oh. Is that all?"

Not only was Caliph super hot and talented, he was also very understanding. Knowing about Jennifer's divorce, he was sensitive when it came to certain things like her insecurities, but he also knew that she had more potential than she realized. Reading that discovery was so satisfying.

Caliph held out his hand. "Give me your phone." "Why?" Even as she asked the question, she handed it over. "Who's your best friend? "Beth." He turned it on and clicked on her list of contacts before handing it back to her. "Send a text to Beth. Tell her where you're going and give her my address."

One thing that did put me off in this book was the use of mineral oil. I don't like mineral oil, among other things, so sue me ;)

Caliph: "How much do you know about wax play?"
Jennifer: "Next to nothing."
Caliph: "You want a brief lesson? Wanna know about the wax, temperatures, stuff like that?"
Jennifer: "Nope. Don't give a shit. For the first time in my life, I think I'd prefer experience over education."
Caliph: "Yeah. That sealed it. Your one-night stand just became a weekend. You up for it?"
Jennifer: "Guess it all depends on how you stick the landing."

I think it's safe to say that I'd be reading more Mari Carr books in the future.


0 comments:

Post a Comment