Tuesday, June 28, 2016

ARC Review: Hard to Serve

As always, I feel so lucky to be one of the early readers of Laura Kaye's new releases. Check out her newest below!

Title: Hard to Serve
Series: Hard Ink, 5.5
Author: Laura Kaye
Publisher: Evil Eye Concepts, Inc.
Release Date: June 28, 2016
Pages: 140
Buy Links: Amazon

Blurb:

To protect and serve is all Detective Kyler Vance ever wanted to do, so when Internal Affairs investigates him as part of the new police commissioner’s bid to oust corruption, everything is on the line. Which makes meeting a smart, gorgeous submissive at an exclusive play club the perfect distraction… 

The director of the city’s hottest art gallery, Mia Breslin’s career is golden. Now if only she could find a man to dominate her nights and set her body—and her heart—on fire. When a scorching scene with a hard-bodied, brooding Dom at Blasphemy promises just that, Mia is lured to serve Kyler again and again.

Then, as their relationship burns hotter, Kyler learns that he’s been dominating the daughter of the hard-ass boss who has it in for him. Now Kyler must choose between life-long duty and forbidden desire before Mia finds another who’s not so hard to serve.



HOT, HOT, HOT!

I honestly don't know how Laura does it, but she manages to surpass the greatness of every book she's released in the past. This new novella was so hot and such a great little teaser to her new series Blasphemy.

The chemistry between Kyler and Mia was so explosive from the very start. I loved the way Laura wrote the book in such a way that even I could feel Kyler's dominant aura. It was, quite possibly, one of the hottest things I've ever read.

This book was exactly the kind of story that got me into reading BDSM stories. I enjoyed reading about the dominance, but more than that, I enjoyed the trust between the two characters. I also loved the way that they were meant to serve each other equally, though not obvious at first. There's nothing better than a Dom taking great care of his sub after an intense scene.

Mia: "Oh, my God. Are those chocolate chip?"
Kyler: "Is there any other kind of cookie? I mean, really."
Mia: "I agree completely, Sir."
Kyler: "Good. That's always the best course of action."

Kyler and Mia also genuinely cared for each other. It was so sweet when Kyler asked about Mia's gallery, and when Mia asked if Kyler was okay when he looked so angry. 

Kyler: "You really do look beautiful."
Mia: "Thank you."
Kyler: "How did your big gallery opening go?"
Mia: "How did you remember that?"
Kyler: "Because it was important to you."

Another thing I loved, of course, was the humor in the book. I could always count on Laura to have some of the other characters grill the main character in some way. It was honestly one of the most enjoyable things to read.

Griffin: "Kyler? What am I missing here? Why was she unhappy?"
Kyler: "She can't afford the membership."
Griffin: "Can't afford...? But aren't you..."
Quinton: "Yeah, I kinda thought so, too."
Kyler: "I don't do relationships. You know this. So you thought wrong."
Quinton: "That's some bullshit right there, Kyler. But tell yourself whatever you need to sleep at night, I guess."

Speaking of Quinton, I was absolutely in love with his character! (But don't tell Kyler) He was such a beacon of light and joy when Mia was down. I honestly cannot wait for his book!

Over text messages:
Mia: "Hi Master Quinton. It's Mia Breslin. We met at Blasphemy last month. Just wanted to thank you again for your kindness that night."
Quinton: "You've been thinking about my superpowers, haven't you? Admit it. Q"
Mia: "How could I not? Who can resist a great mystery?"
Quinton: "When are you coming back in?"
Mia: "I don't have a membership. I was actually hoping you might be able to recommend another club in Baltimore. I love Blasphemy but it's outside my range."
Quinton calls Mia:
Quinton: "Mia, I'm not your Dom, but I'm about to give you an order. You ready?"
Mia: "Um. Maybe?"
Quinton: "Get you ass over here right now."
Mia: "What? I'm in pajamas."
Quinton: "This is Blasphemy. Clothing is entirely optional. Problem solved. What else you got?"
Mia: "Master Quinton, maybe you didn't get my last text. I can't come back to Blasphemy-"
Quinton: "I got it. You can come back. You have a membership."
Mia: "I returned it."
Quinton: "Uh huh. Which is why your card is waiting for you at registration. Memberships are nonrefundable, Mia. You have one. Please use it. This is the only place where I can guarantee your safety, especially given some of your interests."

Can you tell yet how much I enjoyed this book? There were so many good parts that tugged at the heartstring one way or another. If you like BDSM stories, this one is definitely a must-read!

0 comments:

Post a Comment