Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Review: Seduction Under Fire



Title: Seduction Under Fire
Author: Melissa Cutler
Publisher: Harlequin
Release Date: October 16, 2012
Pages: 218
Buy LinksKindle | Amazon (Paperback)

Blurb:

Sworn enemies, too close for comfort

What's worse? Being held hostage by a Mexican drug cartel or being held hostage by that cartel with the one man you passionately hate? Camille Fisher, a brainy, tough-as-they-come cop, can't believe she's daring to escape with her too-hot nemesis, Aaron Montgomery. But once she outsmarts their brutal captors, the danger's just beginning.

Racing across the Mexican desert, Camille begins to glimpse the surprisingly decent man behind the boorish cad. With cartel hit men closing in, she tries hard to ignore her needful heart-and harder to resist the temptation threatening to do them both in....


Review

A story of courage and love disguised in spite towards each other.

This book was an enjoyable, quick read. There were some sentences in the story that I just didn't understand, but that was a small thing. I don't think the book was as memorable as the others, but then, most Harlequin romances are not because they're so short. The story, however, kept me on edge for a little over 24 hours. I was looking over my shoulder or looking at people differently trying to guess their motives because I felt like I was still in the story.

Camille was a female cop who had a rough past when she got shot during a raid. She practically lost her career being stuck in a desk job. Her personal life wasn't any better, dull at best. Aaron, on the other hand, enjoyed life to the fullest. He traveled, he drank, he flirted - basically what guys do. Camille and Aaron had one thing in common: they hated each other, or so it seemed.
    As they rode in silence over an endless expanse of shrubs and sand, Camille caught a whiff of Aaron's scent for the first time--clean, like freshly laundered cotton. Discreetly, she turned her face toward his neck and inhaled. No doubt about it, despite their ordeal, the man smelled like laundry straight out of the dryer. She squeezed her arms down, certain she didn't smell as nice.

    She'd learned the hard way that when men were as good-looking as Aaron, they were used to getting whatever they wanted. Aaron, in particular, oozed entitlement from his every pore. As though being born beautiful was anything more than lucky genes.

    It irritated Camille to be the foil to his physical perfection. She neither looked nor smelled as good as he did. She felt awkward and unnatural on the horse while he was graceful and practiced. It was not an exaggeration to say he made being taken hostage look elegant and easy. No wonder she'd avoided him the past two years. His very existence felt toxic to her own.

    When the trail turned steeply upward, Camille was forced to lean into his chest. He tensed in response. She turned to find him scowling.

    "Don't worry," she growled, "it's not a come-on. You're not my type either.
Basically, Camille and Aaron were abducted and they learned to stick together. They escaped and spent most of their times in Mexico together trying to survive until the next day. As expected when two people spent time together, they grew on each other. Camille's pride got in the way, however. For such a strong woman, she was so weak when it came to herself and her desires. She knew her body and heart wanted Aaron, and yet her mind just won't let her have her happiness. One cute observation I had was that no man in love would let a woman cut or dye her hair. I've seen it in real life ;)

One thing that I really wished I saw in this book was Aaron pop the question. I was disappointed when I finished the book and didn't see it, but the ending was still good. It made me feel like there might be a sequel to the story. The question is whether that is true or not.

Overall, I would recommend this book. The imagery and the detail of their abduction was impeccable. It was like I was really there! Congratulations, Melissa, on a successful book!

Check out some of the scenes I enjoyed!
"Don't you dare start crying. Or so help me, I'm going to hug you."
"I'm not sharing a bed with you if you're half-naked." She tried to modulate her voice, but still, it cracked once.

"We're going to be living in pretty close quarters for a while, so you'd better get used to the sight of me." Grinning broadly, he dropped his pants to the floor and stood with his hands on his hip bones in a pair of flimsy red cotton boxer-briefs.

Camille squeaked and scurried out of the bed. "Jesus, Aaron, put your pants back on."

"Worried I'm going to attack you while you sleep?"

"You already kissed me against my will. How should I know what you're capable of?"

"I can say with one hundred percent certainty that when we kissed, it was not against your will. Look, I told you it wouldn't happen again and I'm a man of my word. Any other promises you want me to make before we get in bed together?"

"Do you have to put it that way?"

"I think it has a nice ring to it."

0 comments:

Post a Comment